Why See An Oral Surgeon For Wisdom Tooth Extraction
There are a number of reasons to see an oral surgeon for wisdom tooth extraction. The most important factor to consider when undergoing any kind of surgery is the expertise and training of the surgeon completing the procedure. While a dentist can perform wisdom tooth extraction, oral surgeons have extensive training in performing the procedure on patients of diverse medical and health backgrounds.
Oral Surgeon’s have completed at least an additional four years beyond dental school completing a hospital-based surgical residency. This residency prepares oral surgeons for even the most complicated procedures and health care conditions. After completing this residency oral surgeons often go on to complete additional training and education in their specific area of expertise.
Top Five Reasons to See an Oral Surgeon for Wisdom Tooth Extraction:
- Specialized experience in Wisdom Tooth Extraction: Oral and maxillofacial surgeons specialize in wisdom tooth extractions. They perform wisdom tooth extraction on a routine basis, thus giving them a greater level of expertise than a general dentist who may only remove wisdom teeth occasionally. Some general dentists don’t handle wisdom teeth extractions at all.
- Additional Training in Hospital Based Residency: Oral and maxillofacial surgeons complete formal training that prepares them for even the most complicated wisdom teeth extractions. After dental school, they complete a minimum of four years in hospital-based surgical residency programs. Here, they train alongside medical residents in internal medicine, general surgery and anesthesiology, while also spending time in emergency medicine, plastic surgery and otolaryngology. Their training focuses on the bone, skin and muscle of the face, mouth and jaws.
- Ability to handle any complications that may arise in the surgery: With any surgery, there is a certain risk of complications. Oral Surgeons have specialized surgical training that prepares them to handle complications that could arise during the procedure. Complications that could arise during wisdom tooth removal include: extracting wisdom teeth, including infection, maxillary sinus issues, bleeding and nerve injury.
- Experience treating patients with medical histories and health conditions: Oral surgeons have formalized training and experience managing patients with various health conditions.
- Anesthesia Administration: All oral surgeons must complete special training in the administration of anesthesia. Dr. Jelic completed 1 year of training beyond what is required in the proper administration and management of anesthesia during surgery. Patients with anxiety about “going under” may benefit from seeing an oral surgeon for wisdom tooth removal. At Jelic Center we walk our patients through the entire process to ensure their comfort and safety in undergoing any type of surgery.
A patient will benefit from seeing an oral surgeon for wisdom tooth extraction for a number of reasons. At Jelic Center we are dedicated to safety and comfort of our patients. Dr. Jelic meets with each patient before the procedure to explain all steps of the process and recovery after wisdom tooth extraction. If you are considering wisdom tooth extraction in Durham, NC and would like to set up a consultation with Dr. Jelic please call our office at 919-419-9222.